20 Important Reasons to Love Yourself | Teen Ink

20 Important Reasons to Love Yourself

By Valeriaz BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas
Valeriaz BRONZE, Malakoff, Texas

As ironic as it seems, this list is coming from a person who struggles with self-love quite a lot, and I know from talking to others that they feel this way sometimes, too. I just don’t want others to feel this hatred towards themselves.

I’m 14 years old, but I believe that I already have enough real life experiences, friends, family members, and, of course, myself, to know these things are vital:

1. Think of yourself as if you’re invincible. You can do anything.
2. You're beautiful, and don't think otherwise. Some people look at themselves in the mirror, and the word “ugly” is the only thing that runs through their minds. It should not be that way.

3. Always cherish the small things in life, the things you do, and the caring people in your life.
4. Try and hang out with positive people. If you hang out with bad people, they will bring you down.
5. Even if you’ve made lots of mistakes, you must make the choice to get up, change yourself, for the good things in life, because it’s worth it.
6. Embrace your sexuality. Gay or straight, you’re perfect. Nothing is wrong. You have nothing to be ashamed of.
7. Don’t make yourself feel guilty about everything! You’re putting yourself down.
8. Try and get involved with others, and not just with the people you are always around with. Make new friends, it helps take your mind off things.
9. Listen to music that puts you in a positive mood. It helps relieve stress.
10. Work hard at everything you do, because if you’re determined and do everything you’re required to do (and sometimes even more), you will cause good things to come to you. This will make you feel good about yourself.
11. Get outside! Be active. Staying indoors all the time has a negative impact on you and it’s just not healthy.
12. Find fun hobbies to do, like drawing, playing sports, playing an instrument etc.
13. Always stay hopeful. Never give up. I know a lot of people who struggle with that. Some are just lazy, but some automatically assume that they can’t do anything, so they end up not even trying.
14. Don’t stress about the other people your age. Young people think they are forced to be like others, because those others are considered “cool” and “popular.” But will being “cool” and “popular” get you a good career? Look to the future and avoid making choices you will regret.
15. Respect everyone around you, especially your parents. They have done many excellent things for you because they love you and want you to succeed in life.
16. Make good friends that will be there for you, no matter what. Friends will cheer you up when you need it. Friends aren’t hypocrites. Friends can be trusted and because your relationship is equal, you can be happy when you are with them.
17. Radiate positivity. Even if you’re not in the best mood, just try and crack a smile, even at the people that you aren’t that fond of. Who knows? Maybe your smile can change someone’s mood or day.
18. White lies that don’t hurt people’s feelings are one thing, but don’t lie to others in a bad way. Someone will always know the truth. The truth will come out. Just tell the truth when you can, because it’s better than people figuring out that you lied about something.
19. Don’t cause controversy with others. It is rude, disrespectful, and later, someone will make you regret it.
20. Find a role model. It can be anyone in your family, your idol, or a person that has been through a tough time and you admire them. Choose someone as a mentor who will push you to be determined, so that you can be proud of yourself.