Faking | Teen Ink

Faking

By GraceHavel BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
GraceHavel BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Tired. Not physically tired from the lack of sleep, but rather tired of everything that was being thrown in my daily path.  The constant nagging of my parents to focus on my schooling, but at the same time put all my effort and time into extracurricular activities. The constant looks of disapproval from everyone I encounter.  Or maybe the fact that I always feel my slowly evolving anguish filling my mind like a helium balloon about to burst. I just wanted to be accepted. I wanted to be treated fairly.  Life wasn’t fair, but let’s be honest; it never was.

I decided to make the best out of poor situations, even if that meant faking it.  It was always the easiest option. Just stretch your mouth out like a rubber band, show a cheesy smile, laugh hysterically, and no one will suspect anything is wrong. People always say it’s the insides that matter, not the outside, yet we always judge people’s feelings based on their outside appearance.

We all try faking it. You know the saying, “Fake it ‘til you make it,” yet unfortunately, we don’t all make it, because we’ve been faking for too long. We’ve faked it for so long that we were dragged into the dark and unable to escape. We see the light at the end of the tunnel, yet our feet are glued to the ground, unable to move, so we decide to call out for help, but no one notices. We lose hope and slowly fade away from that little bit of light until all we see is complete and utter darkness and our last breath loom throughout the air and slowly fade into nonexistence.

This piece is supposed to raise awarness for all of those who feel lost like they have no one to turn to in the most troubling times. It is suppose to show that not everyone shows their true emotions on the outside. We are all fighting a battle no one knows about. This is to all of those people who were taken too soon from this world due to the fact they didn't feel worthy, when in reality, they're priceless.