Comparison Is the Thief of Joy | Teen Ink

Comparison Is the Thief of Joy

June 10, 2017
By Marahlevick SILVER, St Albans, Vermont
Marahlevick SILVER, St Albans, Vermont
5 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“If he can't help but degrade other women when they're not looking if toxicity is central to his language he could hold you in his lap and be soft honey that man could feed you sugar and douse you in rose water but that still could not make him sweet” (Rupi Kaur, Milk and Honey).


Comparing yourself to others could bring yourself down. I remember as a kid, and sometimes even now. I look at someone and wish that I could look and be more like them. I look at them and think they have this, but I don’t. This makes me think that what I have isn’t good enough and therefore, stealing my joy. But what everyone should know is that you may look up to someone, but the things that you see are different, that’s what makes you who you are. That makes you unique. If you’re gonna change yourself to be more like someone else, that’s making a copy of 1 person and totally throwing your unique personality away. You’re taking away individuality. Be yourself. Be proud to be who you are. Love yourself. Surround yourself with people who make you feel that you’re perfect the way you are. Be happy for the things you have and stop beating yourself down for the things that you are not.