Making The Genders Equal | Teen Ink

Making The Genders Equal

Women make up half of the human population, therefore making up half of the human potential. But today gender inequality exist, not letting women reach their full potential. Gender inequality is the state in which access to rights or opportunities is affected by gender. Gender inequality has existed all throughout history, and still exist.

On average, women in the labor market still earn 24% less than men globally. This difference in money even occurs if the two genders have the same jobs. In some countries, women can't even get as good of jobs as men. Many things cause this pay gap. In a 2013 survey, women were more likely to say they had taken breaks from their careers to care for their family. These off days have an impact on long-term earnings. About four-in-ten mothers said that at some point in their careers they had taken a significant amount of time off (39%) or decrease their work hours (42%) to care for a child or other family member. About a quarter (27%) said they had quit work altogether to take care of these familial responsibilities. Less men said the same. For example, just 24% of fathers said they had taken a significant amount of time off to care for a child or other family member. Women are expected to take care of the family and chores while men go out to work, causing the pay gap. In some countrie, Female students aren't evan able to go to school because they have help out the family during the day. According to the same 2013 survey, women were about twice as likely as men to say they had been discriminated against at work because of their gender.

All throughout history, men have been treated better than women. In the American constitution It states “all men are created equal” though after many years of fighting, women only achieved the right to vote in 1920. Before 1934, an American women's citizenship was vested in a husband or father. If an American woman married a man from another country they could lose their citizenship. Woman in America we're finally able to enter the military in 1917 during the last two years of WW1.

Even though gender inequality still persists, it has gotten better. As of 2014, 143 countries have guaranteed equality between men and women in their Constitutions but 52 have yet to take this step. The pay gaps has gotten smaller, and women have gotten more attention. Regardless of it getting better, the genders are not equal. In order to help, you can educate others about gender inequality and get it to end.

I was inspired to write this article because I'm very passionate about gender equality, and I wanted to educate others about it.