The Can of Soup | Teen Ink

The Can of Soup

By GraceRhino5 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
GraceRhino5 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Hey, it’s me. I’m that can of soup you forgot about. The one that was in the back of your pantry for over two years. I watched you take everything around me. I watched you take the other cans of soup like me, but not me. Why? I could have made you really happy, but you never chose me. I could have been put to much better use. You could have grabbed me, along with the others, when your school was having that canned food drive, but I was too far back. I was behind the ranch dressing, so you couldn’t really see me anyway. You could have used me when you had all of those parties; maybe your friends would have liked me. I wonder why you bought me if you were never going to eat me. You wasted your money, and some perfectly good soup. I wasn’t even expired when you threw me out, the syrup just spit on me a little after you made pancakes a while back. Yeah, my can wasn’t that clean, but my soup was perfectly good. I even had a couple years before my time was up, but instead, you threw me out. It hurt, you know? To be given a purpose in life, but never given the opportunity to share it; it doesn’t feel that great. After I was taken from the home that did me no good, I was taken to a landfill. I met a lot of friends. I even found some soup cans like me. They weren’t used either. I met so many different foods from all of the food groups, and most of them aren’t expired yet. They just don’t look normal, or were never bought, but they are all very nice and sweet, and even though they look different, nothing is wrong with them. They are all great things that could have been put to great use, but humans like you don’t see past looks. It’s pretty disappointing. We could have made so many people happy.

I'm quite passionate about this issue, so I hope this story makes you aware of what you grab from the shelf the next time you go to the grocery store.