Fulfilling Job or Filling Your Wallet | Teen Ink

Fulfilling Job or Filling Your Wallet

April 23, 2017
By bri3rober SILVER, Denton, Texas
bri3rober SILVER, Denton, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When looking for a job, it is usually a constant struggle between deciding on whether or not to get a job for money or do what is desired. The same situation applies when students are picking a degree, should they pick something that can set them up to make money in the future or do something that they enjoy doing. While many people aim towards making money, doing fulfilling work should not be discounted, because there are so many benefits to doing it. Doing work that is fulfilling is more important than doing work that pays well, because one can know that they are making contributions to the world that they care about and achieve long-term happiness.


Making contributions to the world can come out of doing work that one finds fulfilling. Mark Kramer, an environmentalist for the Armand Bayou Nature Center in Houston, Texas, makes just enough money to live off of. Yet, Kramer is satisfied with his decision in his job, because he is doing work that he loves. At the Nature Center, the staff works toward combating the world issue of increasingly diminishing grasslands. Less than 1% of the world’s native grasslands remain, and Kramer finds this to be a very pressing issue. Therefore, writing grants and taking surveys is a job the Kramer finds satisfying, because Kramer is aware that he is making a difference in the world, and it is one that he truly believes in. Working tirelessly to help cause that he cares about is providing Kramer with a fulfilling life, regardless of the pay that it provides.


Long-term happiness can be achieved through doing work that is fulfilling. Expanding on the previous example, Mark Kramer gets his happiness from his job, not the money he receives from it. It his job were to end tomorrow, he could walk away knowing that he made a difference in the world, and that is something that can bring him happiness for a long time. If he were to be laid off tomorrow, he would still be happy with his decision of working there, because he can look back and know that he made a difference. While working at a job, gaining a lot money can make a person happier for the short-term. However, getting laid-off or retiring would stop that income from coming in, which can end that happiness. On the other hand, having a job making world contributions that one is happy about, then the work can be satisfy even after the job is over. Kramer is fully aware of the contribution he is making in the world, and can walk into work chipper everyday, even with low pay. Long-term happiness can come out of performing a fulfilling job, as opposed to the temporary happiness gained from a short monetary gain.


It can be argued that by having a job that pays well, one would be able to do what they enjoy outside of work. However, much a person’s time is spent at work, typically 8 hours five days a week; additionally, most high paying jobs require even more hours and can include weekends. Why spend so much of your life doing work you do not enjoy? Even if the time outside a work can be spend doing things that you do enjoy, spending a majority of the week doing something only for the money is unsatisfying.


By doing work that one finds fulfilling, they can achieve long-term happiness and make contributions to the world that they find valuable. When reflecting back on life, knowing that worth-wild contribution to the world were made is much more meaningful than making a lot of money. So when choosing a career or degree, people should take a second to think about what they actually enjoy doing, not just what can help them make bank.