The Power of Positivity | Teen Ink

The Power of Positivity

April 21, 2017
By TessaH BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
TessaH BRONZE, York, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Just like the majority of other students going to my school, I have ridden the bus ever since kindergarten. I can’t say I liked it; my busses were always full of loud students who didn’t know how to sit down. But for some reason, I always got blessed with really great bus drivers. I remember the one who I had up until fifth grade, and I would always make a point to say “thank you” as I hopped down the stairs. In middle school, I had another bus driver, who I also showed my gratitude towards when treading down the steps of the bus. When I started high school, I was met with yet another bus driver; this one, a sweet old lady. I believe that positivity should overpower negativity.

 

High school was a new experience for me, as it was for every other student in my grade. But I was used to the daily bus ride to and from my house, so I could always have something familiar to me in the first few days. I really liked my bus driver. She was funny, kind, quiet, but always empathized with the kids on our bus. We both made it a point to spread kindness to each other. She always wished me a nice weekend or day, and I always thanked her for safely getting me, and everyone else, to our destination. Even when some students were arguing loudly in a joking matter, she would chuckle along with them and even quietly say something that made us close enough to hear laugh. While I didn’t see her nearly as often as any other adult in my life, it made me smile knowing she seemed like a content woman. Well, it seemed that way anyway. Because she took the effort to always seem upbeat during her job, I would have never guessed anything was wrong with her. After the middle of the year, she had a slight cough. I assumed, or hoped rather, that she just had a cold. But despite her seemingly deteriorating health condition, she kept up the sweet words and the positivity. I remember the day I was getting off the bus after a long school week. As usual, she chimed, “Have a nice long weekend!” I wish I would have said something more than “Thanks, you too!” but I can’t read the future. The day before I had to return to school, I got a phone call from the principle, bearing the news. I didn’t cry. I knew she wouldn’t want me to.


It didn’t take the loss of a life to make me realize the importance of positivity; however, it did show me how special it is to have someone that bears strength in their ability to remain bright in the roughest of times. That person was my bus driver.


The author's comments:

I wanted to spread the simple message of how positivity is important for everyone's lives.