Acceptance | Teen Ink

Acceptance

March 27, 2017
By Anonymous

Growing up, I never felt like I belonged into the little groups that were made on the very first day of school; on my first day of grade school I remember walking down the hall and seeing little groups of girls and boys that kept to themselves. I often found myself feeling uncomfortable because I never knew what to talk about or how to include myself in the conversations that people were having about the after school plans that I wasn’t invited to. I had friends; we all have friends. I also had people who didn’t like me. People who didn’t know the first thing about me, people who couldn’t spell my name or say my name but these people were so determined to not like me-even, hate me.  At first, I tried to be liked, I tried my best to fit in. I pretended to be someone who I wasn’t. I tried to be the girl that everyone wanted to be, I tried to be the friend that was warm and welcoming but, that just got me walked on and used. No matter how hard I tried or how much I pretended people didn’t care. Their minds were set.
  

Looking back on how hard I tried to fit in and to be accepted, I have learned that people won’t always like you.We all just want to be accepted, to feel like we belong, to feel liked- loved, to feel like we’re enough; we want  human approval. We want to know that we’re good enough and that we’re liked. Well, that's not how the real world works.


People won’t like you. Not always. 
         

You can either accept it or you can fight it. They may not like you  because of your hair color, your eye color, your skin color or because of the way you speak, or because of the way you eat. The things you like they might  hate or they might not like you because you're you.
       

As brutal as that sounds and as terrifying as it seems,i promise you that you’re okay;  you’re heart is beating, you're alive and you’ll survive. Everything will be alright. We care so much, more then we’re supposed to- then we need to. I mean, why wouldn't we, it's human nature; It's just what we do. We look for happiness in other people, not in ourselves. We look for other people's approval so that we know that we’re good enough,so that we know that we're making someone happy- meaning we’re doing something right.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I don't care about what people have to say about me; of course I care. I know I'm sitting here writing this and hoping you like this because I care. I care, you care, the people around you care, but why?
    

Why do we care so much if the girl you want to be friends with doesn't want to be friends with you or if the cute guy across the street isn't interested.  We care because we're humans- because we seek approval. Me,you, the cute boy and the girl who doesn't want to be friends-all of us. We're not perfect. If anything, we're far from it.  We're just a bunch of people who want to know that we're appreciated, a bunch of people who want to go to sleep every night knowing that we're liked  whether it's by the your best friends mother or the teacher that teaches your favorite subject.  We just want approval; we want to know if we're good enough. Maybe you're not. You're not  good enough, well, not always, but that's okay because you're human. We’re human- all of us, because you make mistakes, because you keep going.
    

As much as we all want to feel like we're wanted,you won't. Not today, not tomorrow, not in a couple of weeks, maybe not even a year from now and the best thing about this is that it's absolutely okay. You're not liked, so what? So what if your teacher doesn't like you  or your crush doesn't like you or your boss doesn't like you? So what?  You're not alone. We often ignore this. It seems like you against the world, but it's, not-it really doesn't have to be.  Believe it or not we're all the same; we want the same things. We want to be loved, cared about, happy. We want to matter. And you do.