Thanking a Wisconsin Veteran | Teen Ink

Thanking a Wisconsin Veteran

By b.birk13 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
b.birk13 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

There are many titles I could give myself to tell you who I am. I’m a junior in high school. I’m a 16 year old girl. I’m a dreamer. Or I could simply give my name: Brooke. But all these titles don’t compare to the ones that describe you: Veteran, warrior, and hero.

I often take for granted the freedoms I experience daily. As I become more educated on other countries, I realize how lucky I am to live in a country where I am allowed to be free. I find myself having difficulty writing this letter because words don’t do justice to my gratitude for you. I wish I could string together all the right words to show you how thankful I am for your bravery,  and how appreciative I am for the sacrifices you made. I want you to know that I am thankful for how you put your life on hold to fight for each and every freedom I enjoy today.

My father is a wise man. He has given me much guidance in my life and taught me many lessons. The most important lesson he has ever taught me is to keep my options open. He has told me to work hard and do my best so I will always have options and never be stuck. I have come to recognize that the only reason my father’s advice has value is because I am free.

When you went to war all those years ago, you were giving me the opportunity to live my life to the fullest. Your service provided me the opportunity to be free to choose what I do with my life. If I didn’t have the ability to decide, my father’s advice about options would have no value.

Due to your heroism, I live in a country that doesn’t control me. Your courage bought me the opportunity to be in control of my own destiny. For that, I am beyond grateful. Although no amount of thank yous could truly express my appreciation for your heroism, I have to say at least one: Thank you.

Sincerely,

Brooke B.

This letter was written for a Wisconsin Veteran to recieve during mail call when participating in the honor flight program.