Why I'm Thankful for Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I'm Thankful for Veterans

March 6, 2017
By maggie4651 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
maggie4651 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

Freedom is an easy word to say, but difficult to explain.  Freedom to me is being able to speak up for yourself as well as others, to fight for what you believe, and to do what others across the globe cannot do in their country.  I’m Maggie and I’m eighteen years old.  After watching the Honor Flight video, I felt proud of our country because of veterans like you. 

Veterans have fought in wars that kept freedom in our country.  Most of the time I think people take our freedom for granted because it is something we are used to having.  People forget that not too long ago, eighteen-year-olds were drafted into the war.  I can’t imagine what you had to go through and how terrified you might have been to have to go.  Because of you, I don’t have to worry about my brother having to leave for war. 

In my eyes, you are the definition of a hero.  You put others before yourself.  You risked your life, just for your country. You showed that a veteran is more than a hero.  We all look up to you in a plethora of ways because of what you have done for us.  Thank you for giving up a normal life, to keep us safe from harm.  Everything you have done, provided me with a great life.  I live life in peace and without fear, which some people in the world cannot say.    

The United States is grateful for what you have done for us.  I hope everyone recognizes how much bravery you have and uses it as motivation.  I think people like you inspire others to go fight for our country.  You dedicated so much time to fighting for our country and to make us safe.  Above all you gave us freedom and I am entirely grateful.

Sincerely,

Maggie N.