Don't Forget Me | Teen Ink

Don't Forget Me

By Puppydogbec BRONZE, Melbourne, Other
Puppydogbec BRONZE, Melbourne, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Dear 18 year old me,

Wow, 5 years. 5 long years of successes, experiences and failures. I have come to visit from the past to ask about everything from 2017 to 2022 and to remind you about life back in 2017. You are about to start university, and a career for the rest of your life, something that you love. Yet I am still undecided about my career path. Weird how that works, huh?

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you, my 18 year old self, more than just a congrats on life. There are many things you may have forgotten, yet so much more knowledge to gain. I want to remind you about being a child. Of course, childhood isn't something that can be relived or given back, but the experiences from those times are ones that have helped to shape who you are now. When you suffer, I suffer, and when you rejoice, I do too.

Remember the time when you were playing in the pool and your cousin nearly knocked you out with a bucket when he 'accidentally' dropped it on your head? That was hilarious. These are the types of moments that you should relive and remember. Don't stop having fun and releasing your inner child so you aren't consumed by the weight of adulthood. Also, your love for food is something to not mess around with. Do not question or think about it because it will never go away or stop loving you back. Treat yourself very once in a while and relieve yourself from all the stress and negativity. Go get the the lava cakes from Mungi's and eat them like you did when you were 7, with chocolate smeared all over your face.

My time with you is almost over and you probably have better and more important things to do and jobs to complete so I'll leave it here. Do what make you happy, because as cliché as it sounds, you only have one life, so live it to the fullest the sake of both of us.

Good luck in your many years to come,
Your 13 year old self

Originally for school but I feel like many people don't realise the importance of showing their inner child