How the Media Disrupts People | Teen Ink

How the Media Disrupts People

I walk to school anxious, nervous, and scared. I feel like I am going to throw up before a volleyball or basketball game,  but I cover it up by being loud. The happiest people are the fakest; they are the nervous and scared. People don’t assume people to be fighting a mental battle, but how do people know? How do people not know the pretty, skinny, blonde girl gets called dumb everyday? How do people not know the studious student doesn't get called a nerd? A geek? Uncool? How do people know someone isn't ashamed of their appearance? Our brain becomes our bully. The girls who spends endless hours scrolling through Instagram looking at Kylie Jenner, Bella Hadid, Jasmine Tookes, Alexis Ren and many other iconic people are taken over with self confidence issues. Young girls become convinced that the goal is to be like them, because of the numbers of likes and followers on a screen. However, why does the virtual world dictate our reality?

Men also get affected by male models, actors, and athletes. This is because of how the media presents men. For example, one thing they do is, is the “Sexiest Man Alive” this makes men feel like they need to look up to this guy. Also, how women talk about famous men such as Zac Efron, Kanye West, Cristiano Ronaldo, Justin Bieber, Tom Brady. Are not men just convinced that is what they need to be, to be liked? Is it not the inside that counts? It is not trying to say it is bad to have role models but, if you try too hard to be someone you are not, you cannot be yourself and it will put a lot of pressure on your mental health. Media has affected us negatively in many ways but it has affected us positively in many ways. Is the real cyber bully the media itself? Is the bully Twitter,  Instagram,  Facebook? These platforms promote famous people differently, they portray them as more important. Shouldn’t all men and woman be created equal? The reason for this is because people like to connect and a way to do that is become a fan of a celebrity, this makes you connected with the other fans. It makes you feel apart of something which makes people feel needed.

The media also presents make up brands, for example Kylie lip kits, and NYX lip products.  Many people who have both realize they are both alike in many ways but the prices are very different, it is thirty dollars for a lip liner and a gloss at Kylie Cosmetics and only fourteen dollars for  the same thing you would get at NYX. The quality is about the same as well. The main reason why Kylie’s brand is so expensive and doing so well is because she is famous and because of her marketing with Instagram and Snapchat. Kylie Jenner is making so much money off of the media; money works with the media. It is much easier to make a professional looking website than be a professional person. For example, since Kylie’s brand is so big and many people pay a lot of money for the lip kits people can make knock off versions . Which may have harmful ingredients, such as glue. It is easy to make fake lip kits, but they can be unsafe. This is what people will do for money, they will put people in danger.  This is why it is important to not let social media influence how you use money  

This makes the media unsafe in many ways. Smart decisions can be hard to make when pm and woman order things from online you don’t know where they came from. For instance, when women and men buy things off of Ebay, people don’t know who had it before and what they did with what they are trying to sell. Some people try to sell animals off of ebay which is unsafe and not right. The media and technology is good but can destroy your mental health, hurt you physically, (for instance putting glue on your lips without realizing it), and negatively impact your money management.  Because it can affect you emotionally, and physically it is  important to stay safe with your media and think twice before you make an action online.

I really enjoyed writing this piece and hope you all enjoy it aswell!