Put it Down | Teen Ink

Put it Down

By Jularescott BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Jularescott BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Everyone put your phones down for one second and listen up. Hold on, what do you see? You see something other than Twitter, Snapchat, and Instagram? Wow, imagine that, there’s more to life than your phone and social media? Interesting.

My parents haven’t gone a day without saying “Man, you kids and your damn phones. When I was a kid, we used to actually go outside and do stuff with each other rather than texting about it.” It wasn’t until recently that I realized my parents were right. Our generation is so caught up in capturing the moment and sharing it, rather than living in it. I’ve seen people go on hikes or to waterfalls just so they can put it up on Instagram, and it’s pretty sad.

Here is my advice to everyone with an iPhone or any type of social media, live your life through your own eyes, not your camera lense. Stop trying to impress all of your followers with pictures or videos because I doubt all 700 of them really care. It’s the people who you are sharing the moment with that care if you’re enjoying your time. The people around you will most likely be the ones who care for you in 10 years, not your followers. So be yourself, lead by example and put down your phone. Enjoy your life because you only have one.