We Are Activists This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

On a day to day basis, we share our passion for social justice by sitting down and assuming our role as an activist. We share a post, the headline of an article, the date of an upcoming protest. We join groups—Pantsuit Nation, November 9th Society, Allies against Hate—through which we scroll for the right thing to share, for the right thing to show the world because we are such big supporters of it, even when Congress isn’t. If we feel like it, we write a rant. In that rant, we let it be known that we are angry—that we are fired up—because that’s what activism is, isn’t it? Screaming loudly to a cluster of our own, personal, hand-picked audience and hoping that we won’t ignite any disagreements in the comment section, or worse, that people will cover their ears from our screams instead of doing the charitable thing and clicking the “like” button.

We change our profile picture to the French flag to show we care. We wear safety pins out of solidarity. We like every post from that one friend who actually has the time to go to protests—who founds social justice clubs, who writes letters to Elizabeth Warren and Rudy Giuliani—who waits in a line to talk to Gloria Steinem and asks her how she can make a difference in the world.

But why go through all this trouble when activism is a click away? In this new age, our phone is our platform—social media our catalyst for the change we all so desperately want. God forbid we go out into the world for this change. From the safety of our own home, us activists can create change on the toilet seat—in total, utter isolation, where no one’s opinion but ours has to count.

But although our opinion reigns supreme, we are easily swayed by others. We pay attention to what is important to fellow activists and we make sure to follow suit. So when someone uses the word “passive activism” we make sure that we don’t fit the definition. We strive to make it known how much we hate passive activism, so we write rants like this one. We vow to be better. Do more. Show all those passive activists what real activism is.

So we copy and paste this rant and post it on Facebook.