Get Rid Of Homework | Teen Ink

Get Rid Of Homework

I think homework shouldn't be a thing or even legal. The average student goes to school five days a week for seven hours a day. On top of that many students have after school activities or clubs. Some students play sports like football, soccer, basketball, and other sports that require two or more hours after school multiple days a week. After those students come home from their sports or activities, they are expected to complete a least one and a half hours of homework and also get at least 8 hours of sleep. This needs to change, the average High School student gets around seven hours of sleep each night. Most teenagers require nine hours of sleep. This means homework is making students lose sleep.

Let’s say one student has soccer after school four days a week for a two hour practice and then gets home and has to do one and a half hours of homework. This would mean that this said student would spend almost 43 hours a week doing homework and sitting in school. If you only count the homework it would mean that the student would spend an average of almost eight hours a week just doing assignments after their school day and their extracurricular activities. In some cases, students could feel like they have so much homework that there are almost slaves to the school system. Losing sleep and being forced to do work they don't want to do and if they refuse to do their homework they are given a zero or even an F in the classes overall grade. I think during a school day you should do classwork and be able to get most of it done and if you don’t get it done then you would have to take it home, this is for the students that don’t want to do work in class or just don't go. I feel like this is a much better solution so students would be able to get their schoolwork done during the school day then be able to attend their after school sports or clubs and then go home and be able to get enough sleep so that they can be ready to learn the next day in class. In conclusion, I think homework should either not be allowed or not be a thing in most schools. Homework causes students to develop stress and even lose sleep. Students should do their schoolwork at school and not at home.

I get frustrated with homework affecting my after school activities and the fact that we don't do as much work during the actual school day.