The American Responsibility | Teen Ink

The American Responsibility

November 7, 2016
By sarahc5 SILVER, Mocksville, North Carolina
sarahc5 SILVER, Mocksville, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light." Albus Dumbledore


As an American there are certain responsibilities I have because I was born into a free and privileged country. The people of America’s past fought for our freedom and we are very fortunate. Respect, action, honoring, and showing support for America are all responsibilities that I have as an American.


One of my most important responsibilities as an American is to respect my country, the people in our society, and America’s symbols. I will honor the American Flag by flying it high in celebration of America and lowering it in remembrance of those who are no longer with us. I will fold the American flag correctly and never let it touch the ground. I will respect the American flag because of what it means to me as an American. It is more than just a symbol it is my freedom woven into fabric. I will respect those who have set the rules in order for my safety, and I will abide by the rules that I am given and never talk poorly about the men and women who give their lives and their time everyday to ensure my safety and freedom.


One of the highest acts of kindness and fearlessness is fighting for your country. To wake up every morning and say “I am going to go out and risk my life to protect the citizens of my country.” takes a lot. For someone to talk down about those who give themselves to America and to fight for America’s freedom really make me angry. The man who lost both legs and is fighting for more wheelchair entrances and exits was also fighting for your country and for your safety, to deny him that want and tell him to give up on what he deserves is wrong. He could have very well given up on our country but he didn't because he, like myself, takes pride and honor in being an American. We should never let the memory of these amazing men and women be forgotten. Ceremonies and celebrations should continue to flourish all across America for these fallen American heroes and for the ones still fighting for us.


Another simple way I can practice my responsibilities as an American is voting. Voting is a privilege that not everyone can have, and not everyone once had. It is so much more than filling out a ballot. You get to choose who is leading your country, and who is the face of your country, and who has the power to change certain issues in our government. To not take part in this democratic process would just be lazy. You should want to take part in your community and what is happening around you.


Watch the news, get out in the community, make friends with the people around you, take part in your community. Put your thoughts and your voice into the community. Do not sit back and watch others act or speak for you. Stand up for what you believe in. Get your hands in everything you can. Local communities can be the key to your activism. Try to volunteer as much as possible. The more you are in your community the stronger it will become and the better informed you will be about what is happening. So show up to town halls and take part in community events.


Should the time come any American should be willing to fight for their country, no matter how scary or tragic the event would be. The pride and love for your country should be enough adrenalin to get you going. I know the armed forces are not for everyone in the United States, but honoring our country should be for everyone.
Get out in the community, honor the fallen, take pride in your country, and most of all respect America. These are my responsibilities to America. Living in this beautiful country is so honoring . I am proud to live in this country and call myself an American and you should be too.


The author's comments:

This was a school assignment but I had a really good time writing it and I was proud of the finished product.