Two Years Short | Teen Ink

Two Years Short

By marisaq3 BRONZE, Aliso Viejo, California
marisaq3 BRONZE, Aliso Viejo, California

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do." -Sarah Ban Breathnach

When I was eight years old the first presidential election I could remember took place between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. In my class we held a little election for fun after we learned about the candidates. I wrote “Barack Obama” on a little slip of paper and placed it in a small box. In our class he won, and a few days later we saw he won the real election, too. 

Eight years later here I sit, watching a bloody election process pass me by. The two runners are both not very favorable; but, one is an obvious choice in my mind, while the other is an ignorant, sexist, and childish brute.
But, alas, I’m two years short to vote.

A person who is a billionaire and could make more money in a day than my parents can in a year wants to be my representative? Someone who can never understand who I am and the struggles I’ve had and will have because everything in life has been handed to them wants to be my representative? My family didn’t have a small loan, they worked for it, and I’ll never forget my roots. A person who never lifted a finger for anything they could ever dream of wants to be my representative?

But, alas, I’m two years short to vote.

A person who has time and time again has called women things that no human or living being should be called. Not only is this a disgrace to every woman on the planet, but an indicator of how uncensored and crude this person is. The person that has insulted more than half of the population personally wants to be my representative? A person who has joked about sexual assault and then called it “locker room talk” wants to be my representative?

But, alas, I’m two years short to vote.

A person who has gotten out of paying taxes by filing chapter 11 over four times is saying that they want to help America thrive? It’s big shots like them that take advantage of our country to make them even more rich. A person who inhibits America from prospering by taking advantage of it in the most unpatriotic way wants to be my representative?

But, alas, I’m two years short to vote.

A person who has said countless offences against immigrants in a large scale generalization wants to be the most powerful person in the nation? My grandfather came to America with nothing and my mother as a child came with her family with little. They worked hard and lived in poverty for a better life. How can someone deny others a safer life when there is corruption in their home country? As a first generation American, I want to build a more comfortable life for my family without having to feel the burden of prejudice. How can a racist want to be my representative?

But, alas, I’m two years short to vote.

As a sixteen year old I watch adults worry over which evil to choose and sigh. I write the name of my preferred candidate on a piece of paper and hope, that my luck from when I was eight years old still follows me today.

With only a few days left before the election date I'd like to say my two cents on the topic even though I'm not old enough to vote. I'm truly afraid for the outcome and hope that these next four years do not fall to tragedy.