The Power of Quality Relationships | Teen Ink

The Power of Quality Relationships

A relationship is defined as the way in which two or more people are connected. When I was about twelve years old, my dad said something to me that I have applied in almost every aspect of my life. “It’s a two way street,” he said. That made a lot of sense. If only one person in a relationship makes an effort, the people are not really going to connect. However, if the two people are putting in the same amount of effort, they develop a connection.
Ever since then, I have been trying to create quality relationships with the important people in my life. Allow me to provide a couple of examples. I try to create quality relationships with my teachers so we can help each other out. I respect them and do what I am supposed to do, and in return, they respect me as a student and help me when I need it.

I have also changed my relationships with my parents so our connection can be more powerful. My mom and I have had some trust issues in the past and she always told me that I can tell her anything even if I murdered someone, but I still never wanted to tell her some things. Such as, occasionally smoking weed or losing my virginity. Over the course of time, I told her my secrets and to my surprise, she accepted them without giving me any criticism. Instead, she gave me advice. Now, I always tell her everything and we do not have any trust issues.
As for my dad, I only get to see him every other weekend and I never used to really put in any effort to try to hang out with him during those times. I would always want to be alone in my room or do something else with my sisters. That is when he told me that relationships are a two way street. I started to do my homework in the living room so we could be together and I started going with him to simple places like the store or the post office. After these small changes, we both noticed a difference in our relationship. It had more quality.

All of these situations were just preparing me for something. When I entered high school, I met this guy named Adam. We were friends at first but I wanted more so I put in more effort. He did the same. I knew when our relationship started, I had to make it worth our time. As of today, we both put in the same amount of effort and we have an incredible relationship. We make each other happy by doing the most simplest things. Every now and then, I can tell when he is upset or stressed, so I pick up the phone and remind him of the great things in his life. He sometimes surprises me with a visit and some food and that makes me happy.  I am most proud of the relationship I have with Adam.

Having quality relationships with the important people in my life has brought me to a different perspective on the world. I have been much happier ever since I decided to change my connection with people. In order to have a quality relationship, there must be communication, trust, and respect.