The Sacrifices of Memorial Day | Teen Ink

The Sacrifices of Memorial Day

By lionzfr18 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
lionzfr18 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Americans spend Memorial Day remembering those whose bodies were drenched in thick, inky red, and who made the ultimate sacrifice for the red white and blue. Despite the cookouts and parades of Memorial Day, I spend this day honoring all of the brave men and women that endangered their lives for the United States of America.

My grandfather sacrificed three years of his life to serve this country in World War II. He drove tanks and significantly damaged his hearing from the loud blasting sound of the tank shooting. My grandfather forgoed his security of life and he went to bed every night with the fear of not waking up.

The physical toll war took on my grandfather is sickening. He is nearly deaf now, and he cannot remember much because of the trauma of war. He spent three years shooting down opposing tanks and watching his fellow soldiers, of whom were some of his best of friends, suddenly collapsing to the ground, drenched in their own blood. He has had nightmares clearly picturing his fellow soldiers’ bloody corpse on the ground, lifeless.

Memorial Day is the one day annually Americans forgo to celebrate those who risked and paid the ultimate sacrifice. I am thankful that my grandfather was lucky to not have to make the ultimate sacrifice. If he did, I would not be here today.

Although those who serve for this country are not family by blood, Americans are a family, the family of the red, white, and blue. And on Memorial Day, I honor them and their fallen brothers and sisters for their service to this country.