Should School Start Later | Teen Ink

Should School Start Later

Waking up early does not come easy for many teenagers. In fact, it has been scientifically proven that teenagers are less inclined to get up early in the morning. However, when schools start later, teenagers don't need to get up so early and therefore perform better in school and overall.Even if schools starting early is good for teenagers, it might be too expensive for the schools themselves. Overall, it would be better for everyone if schools started later.
Teenagers are not naturally morning people. International studies have proven that teenagers body habits are different from that of adults and littler children. Teenagers begin to secrete melatonin, the sleep-inducing chemical, around 10:45 to 11:00 pm and stop producing melatonin around 8:00 am the next morning. This means that teenagers should be getting around nine hours of sleep, which is not always the case. Teachers and professors worldwide often find their first period classes slumped at their desks, making that first class in the morning a waste. This is clear evidence to the fact that teenagers are not made for the morning, and class times should be pushed back. Thus, mornings are not good times for teenagers.

Teenagers that sleep better often perform better. This doesn't mean just in school. Studies have shown that teenagers who are better rested get involved in less car crashes. For example, in a Kentucky district high school students evolved in car crashes dropped 16.5 percent. Other research shows that well rested teenagers get better grades and decrease dropout rates. As shown, teenagers who sleep better perform better.

Starting schools later could offer a few logistical issues, and that has many parents and other clamoring for school time to stay the same. One such issue is the cost of buses, which would increase if school start time would be pushed back because many bus drivers right now drive multiple routes in one day, and if there was overlap there would need to be more bus drivers to accommodate everyone and not have the younger kids waiting an hour for school to start. However this issue is completely invalidated if all school start times are pushed back. This would improve performance by elementary and middle schoolers in addition to high schoolers, and even the school staff would get to sleep more and would be less inclined to give lots of homework! Therefore, school start time should be pushed back for all schools, not just high school.

School start time should be later for all schools. Scientific studies have shown that teenagers’ melatonin schedules are not the same as adults and littler children. Other research has proven that well rested teenagers perform better in school and get in less accidents. Even if school starting later is thought to be too expensive, the problem works itself out if all schools start later.