Strength, Sacrifice, Success | Teen Ink

Strength, Sacrifice, Success

By ekrede GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ekrede GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Memorial Day is filled with tradition of celebrating our freedom thanks to the courageous men and women who fought for it. But, it represents more than just tradition. Memorial Day is strength, sacrifice, and the success of the American Dream.

Men being woken up by gut-wrenching gunshots and ear-splitting screams, knowing the worst is yet to come. Soldiers have the strength, in a moment of fear and frenzy, to wake up and begin their battle for their country. They have the strength to fight for strangers and beloved friends, the strength to leave behind their family in the fight for freedom, and the strength to keep moving, after seeing fellow soldiers die. Memorial Day represents the strength behind our freedom.

Soldiers leave behind family, not knowing when they’ll return. They miss out on moments they will never get back. Men and women put their lives on the line so Americans can go to bed safely, knowing we are free. That is the ultimate sacrifice made by soldiers, and that is the reason I get to stand up in the morning and say The Pledge of Allegiance to our American flag. Memorial Day represents the sacrifice made by men and women.

I have the right to speak my mind, to shout, to sing, or to say whatever I choose, to freely express how I feel, and practice any religion I want. People around the country watch the American Dream come to life, as a country built by immigrants celebrate freedom. In America, citizens share pride and pleasure in being an American. Memorial Day represents my right to the be free in all ways I choose, and to watch millions of people live the American Dream.

Soldiers leaving their family, men fighting for our country, and Americans living the dream. Families on boats, and parents grilling out. These things all represent Memorial Day in the United States of America. Memorial Day is strength, sacrifice and success, along with the traditions we have while celebrating freedom.