Justice? | Teen Ink

Justice?

By Silverfang BRONZE, Fort Kent, Maine
Silverfang BRONZE, Fort Kent, Maine

Elmer Davis once said, “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long it is the home the home of the brave.” Yet the brave who have sacrificed everything for us, for our freedom, and this country are homeless and wandering about the streets. They do not eat for days at a time and sleep on the hard sidewalks. They are called names and some people even go as far as dumping food on them. Is this how we treat our brave heroes? What happened to that “humanity” we so talk about? They are people who left their families behind, who risked their life and for what? To be one day homeless, suffer from PTSD, and be insulted by the ignorant people who they risked their life for. As many as 75,000 veterans are on the streets homeless in the chilling cold of winter and scorching heat of summer. Even those who get discharged sometimes don’t get benefits and they were those who got injured fighting for us, gave up a part of themselves yet still they don’t get what they deserve for their sacrifice. They didn’t do it because it was going to be easy they did it because they care for the country. They want it to be and stay great.  Know this if they had not done what they did you most likely would not be reading this. Let us respect their sacrifice and respect them and do what we can to help.