Sunsets | Teen Ink

Sunsets

September 25, 2016
By MayaP7 BRONZE, Heber City, Utah
MayaP7 BRONZE, Heber City, Utah
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Carpe Diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." -Dead Poets Society


Okay. Take a breath. Don’t stress. Stress. Stress. Stress. Wait. Stop. Where’d it go? Where’d I go? Slow down. Slow down . . . breath. I go too fast too often. I don’t take chances to just breathe. I go too fast. I panic. Panic. Panic. Panic. It’s funny. I read a part in a book and I laughed because it was like someone had pulled apart my mind, my soul, and laid out my thoughts across the paper. He started with “one drop of rain. Clarisse. Another drop. Mildred,” and he ended with everything “rushing on down around in a spouting roar and rivering stream toward morning” (Bradbury 17-18). That’s me. Well, that’s me when I can’t slow down. I try to stop the waves, but you can’t stop something that is built into the system. Built into the system. Without it the system crashes, but with it the system crashes. You can’t control it (I’ve tried), but you can channel it. Stress is the roaring water; we are the little town downriver. The dam stops the water from destroying the little town, but it also works the water into energy that keeps the town running. What’s the dam? It could be anything, everything, or nothing at all. I don’t know what it is (I’m just a kid), but I do know that it’s essential to the system. It keeps everything in control, and it gives us what we need. It relieves pressure. Relief. How? I’m not talking about the dam anymore in case you couldn’t tell. I’m talking about you and me. I was watching a movie the other day, and there was a quote in it that is amazingly brilliant. It just makes me want to plaster it on my wall, so I can feel it every day. It tells you “to see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other and to feel. That is the purpose of life” (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty). I want to be those words. I want to reach out, and take those words, and tattoo them onto my soul. So, let me ask you something. When was the last time you laid in the grass and looked for shooting stars? Have you ever just stopped what you’re doing and danced? When was the last time you sat and watched a sunset? Me? Well, that would be yesterday.