A Lifetime of Drilling | Teen Ink

A Lifetime of Drilling

By han.nah48 BRONZE, Niles, Michigan
han.nah48 BRONZE, Niles, Michigan

The mind is full of unbroken soil, buried nutrients, hidden imagination, and unfounded hot spots of oil and gems. Constant drilling of goals, math, stress, and life obstacles will begin to break this soil, until one day it will finally spew out into the open and the people who once looked upon the ground or soil as dry and full of nothing will finally see the true beauty and fullness the mind withholds. The drilling will continue all of our lives. Those who believe their drilling is finished and that there is nothing left to discover, those are the ones who will not reach or `discover their full capacity. While many may think that they have finished their drilling, that there is nothing left to drill or look for, there is so much more to discover. There are secrets to achieving the things you believe in. The secret is to continue your drilling, to never let anything stop you from achieving greatness and never believe that you have hit your full intellectual level because there is always more to discover.

Oscar Wilde, playwright from Dublin, Ireland once said, “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” This brings out my theory in a profusion of ways. Mr. Oscar Wilde's quote brings to life what I am truly trying to illustrate in your mind. Those who live are those who believe that they will continue to grow their mind, intellectual level, and the creativity that the mind withholds.  Those who live are the ones who are remembered. Oprah Winfrey's life is the drilling process itself.  She came from a rough childhood of abuse, but she did not dwell in the past and allow this to hold her back. Her drilling began at the moment she decided that this bump in the road would not stop her from achieving her goals and reaching her full potential. She once said, “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” This is exactly what she did and her success is from her drilling which is shown through her achievements that range tremendously. Although Oprah turned her “wounds into wisdom,” most will not.

Britney Spears is a person who the majority of us know of. She is one person who truly did not turn her “wounds into wisdom.” 2008 Britney’s breakdown was in full swing. Her fame, glory, and reputation spiraled down the drain of the forgotten. She let an obstacle stop her from achieving greatness within her career. From that point forward she no longer was looked upon as a someone who had a career going for her, but more of a person who had stopped their drilling, who believed that there was no good left to discover not only in her mind, but in the whole aspect of life. Instead of constant drilling and pushing through the tension filled moments, she let the common distractions of life stop her in the tracks of upcoming fame. True fame is not found in the amount of men and women sitting in the seats at a concert, nor is it found in the amount of views on a video. Fame is found in the moments that you handle yourself, the times you change not only yourself for the better, but also the world you are surrounded by. This is the exact moment where Britney fell down the steep climb of fame.

There are extreme differences between Britney Spears and Oprah Winfrey, but they have one vital secret that is hidden from the natural human eye. Both of these women have had the chance to continue their drilling and work for what they wanted. One truly wanted to change the world around them, while the other fell to the society or world that she was surrounded by. The people of today's world are commonly hiding behind our cell phones, televisions, and computer screens when we should be the people changing the world that is slowly closing in around us. We are commonly too fond of the idea of following others, while we have a very low number of true leaders who are leading our world to success. We are commonly too busy trying to stand up to the expectations of others that we don’t think about what this can do to us. While all of these things are happening, the drilling process is slowing itself, which means you are not pushing yourself to reach your full levels and you aren’t challenging yourself to be better than yesterday. Soon after our minds realize this we will begin to believe that we are done, that there is nothing left to discover within our minds. We are the generation that needs to get our drilling in gear and change the thoughts of not only the world around us, but about the mind itself. You are the person who can change the world if you continue your drilling process and never stop.