Tomorrow's History Books This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Next time you go flipping through your history textbook, take note of a few things-- notice the patterns, the way each chapter or time period is set up.  Often the books are broken down by decades, usually including things like wars, elections, other major events, and the culture of the period.  As you read through the sections, think of the things that are happening today, and apply them to the book.  Imagine the things that the next generation will read.

Presidential candidates having arguments over Twitter-- maybe they’ll include the screenshots for our kids to read.  There are race wars and widespread drug problems, like the 1960s have come back to haunt us.  There are more mass shootings than can be included-- will they wonder how we lived under a constant threat of danger, or will it seem like nothing to the dangers they face in the future?  By the pictures in their books, all our generation seemed to do was ride on hoverboards and stare at phones, typing out our feelings for the world to see, taking pictures of ourselves or the fun things we were doing so all of our friends would be jealous.  We all wanted to be rich, or at least own expensive things, and we all went deeper and deeper into debt without a care in the world.  We gave everything to anyone who would spare us a glance, and cry when it was over.  We all got offended a little too easily, and it was slowly tearing us apart, breaking us into sections, a kind of neo-segregation.  We floated through time as our world burned around us.

It doesn’t have to be that way.  That’s the good thing about being in a generation that’s coming to age-- it’s our choice, our decision.  No matter how we’ve grown up, we are gaining more and more power.  We choose whether we use that power for good or for evil.  We choose what the history books of tomorrow will say about us.  Will we be proud of the things our children will read in the future?

Will we let our children have a future at all?