The Philosophy of Hate | Teen Ink

The Philosophy of Hate

By Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas
Cameron Nelson GOLD, Sugarland, Texas

Have you ever hated a person before?  Have you ever had a powerful anger for someone or something, in a way that could never be explained?  Don’t say “Never” because you would be lying to me, to everyone, and to yourself.  Everyone has hated someone in some period of their life.  Especially today since there are so many reasons to hate people.   Terrorism, racism, politics, behavior, drugs, money, religion… the list goes on.  Even though there are some people that need to be hated, such as murderers, tyrannical dictators, or over-zealous white trash rednecks, hate for the average citizen is unacceptable.

I admit that I have hated people before.  I had a deep hatred for a person that I barely even knew.  I felt a blinding rage whenever he entered my peripheral vision.  What did this person do to me that made me hate him so much?  Simple, he annoyed me.  He would disrespect the teachers and treat the other students like trash.  Not only that, he was an apparent drug user, a drinker, and a “Women are possessions” kind of guy.  The worst part is that he has a whole group of friends that are the same way.  But what did he do to me, the answer is… nothing.  He never did a single thing to me, nor to my friends.  I just hated him because he was filth beneath the boot of civilized culture.  After a year of putting up with his distasteful way of life, I had an epiphany.  I don’t hate him, or his friends, I hate what they represent.  I hate how they represent the new age of civilization where children are allowed to become grotesque, annoying, narcissistic, disrespectful morons.  I hate how parents aren’t controlling their children with more discipline.  I hate how this generation is just plain dumb.  This is the universal truth.  That’s how all of our minds work, we hate what people represent.