Grandpa's Special Chair | Teen Ink

Grandpa's Special Chair

By huuntersmith BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania
huuntersmith BRONZE, West Chester, Pennsylvania

It's a special chair. I like to sit in it every weekend at my grandma's house. It is special because it was my grandpa's. It's one of those new "high-tech" Lazy Boys that recline with a remote.  It has an essence of grandpa; like he still there. Although everything feels like that; I wasn't allowed to visit him in the hospital. He went in healthy, for heart surgery, but he never made it out. I never saw him sick so I feel like he is still healthy and maybe out at a doctor's appointment or something. I digress. Grandma makes it look the same as it did when he was there. His chocolates in a small acrylic bowl with blue flower designs on it. The gold fabric with tassels on each end hanging on the armchairs – still there. His pens all in a cup, his newspapers to his left on the white wire stool, as always. I like to nap there, like grandpa. Somehow it makes me feel connected to him. The gas fireplace is always on; constantly baking the old-fashioned family room, you don't even need a blanket. I really love that chair, it is special.

I wanted to write this piece because people can easily relate to losing someone and havig somehting that reminds them of that person is important.