Gone Away | Teen Ink

Gone Away

A good father is not an alcoholic. He should not be aggressive and abuse his child. My father did, but I still love him. You are supposed to love your father. Yet common teens hate their fathers and take them for advantage. I only cried when I heard his voice. He promised to come to Arkansas and be part of my life. That promise was made when I was thirteen, now I’m seventeen. He never kept his promise. I still love him; if I can love him after all he’s done, how can teens’ hate their fathers?

It’s gotten old to hear that one question “Do you hate him?” Two answers yes and no. He is my father and I can’t hate him. I try hoping it will ease the pain. It doesn’t ease the pain; I’m not even going to try now. “I don’t have a car. My dad took the keys because I snuck out. I hate him.” They have a father that cares about them. And cares enough to worry when they are out. I do hate my father for not caring for me. He neglects me, abused me, and lied to me numerous times; but I still love him.

I want to know if the man I don’t know as Daddy is happy. It makes me feel like I have done something wrong since he lives in Vermont and has a new family. I bet he is being loved or I wonder if he is being appreciated. Hope he is, because he does deserve at least some appreciation when I can’t give it. But it hurts knowing I’m not the one hugging him everyday. “I wish my dad was gone, not part of my life.” I don’t think teens would like that if it really happened. They would wake up in the mourning to find their father is gone. He has dropped out of their lives, never again to see him. I really believe they would take back what they said. And wish more than anything in the world to have him back. They need to appreciate that they have a father in their life.

A girl runs to her daddy and hugs him. The father returns the hug and with a I love you comment. This makes me shed a tear when I know I don’t have that. A teen walks past her dad and doesn’t even acknowledge him. He offers a hug and open arms; they walk by while shaking their head. My blood boils when I know they have it better with a father that actually loves their child. I held his big index finger with my tiny, chubby, baby fingers. My daddy hugged me and said I love you. I would love to have that back. Teens now take advantage and don’t appreciate their father as they are supposed to. Orphans don’t have fathers they have died and gone forever. The orphan would gladly take your place, so you wouldn’t have to put up with your father. Surprisingly some teens would refuse and still not appreciate what they have. And if the teens accept, they don’t have a father and will soon want theirs’ back. Put yourself in their shoes. Do you want a caring and loving father, or a stranger that you don’t know anymore?