A Blank Road | Teen Ink

A Blank Road

By cja93 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
cja93 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

They both knew what would happen next. But neither would acknowledge the truth, aware the acidic words would brand their memories of each other. Everything they felt, everything they knew, everything they fought for would all be annihilated with the whisper of a few simple words. It would all end, come crashing down. They never thought it would, could happen so quickly. But Time was smothering them, along with its cousin, Pain. It was time to let go. No matter what. They had no other choice. It was their only route to happiness, something that had seemed to fade without their knowing.
They looked into each other's eyes and saw no tears, for they had promised no tears would be spilled that night. They saw only a blank road, empty. No signs, no directions. This was their new beginning, a new start. Briefly they recollected the sacred and cherished moments they had spent and shared together. When they turned away, both shed a silent tear for the other.

In a way, this piece is fiction, seeming as it has never happened. But it was inspired by an event that might have occurred if the characters were not wary of their actions.