Trying New Things | Teen Ink

Trying New Things

March 3, 2009
By Chris sunday BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
Chris sunday BRONZE, Rockford, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How many times have you been afraid to do something but you did it anyway, and you ended up feeling good about it? I know I can think of a few times but one I remember better than the rest.

It was my sixth grade year, and we went to Camp Roger for a field trip. There were a lot of different group activities we were able to do. We got done with all of the morning activities and it was getting close to lunch time, but there was still one more activity before lunch, the zip line!

As we were walking up the trail I could see the huge telephone poles suspending the cables that I would eventually zip down on. I was pretty nervous at first, but after a little while I started to gain a little confidence. Quite a few people had gone already, and it was getting close to being my turn. I started to get a harness and a helmet on.

As I walked closer to the enormous telephone pole it seemed to get even bigger. One of the instructors hooked me up to a rope. Then I started to climb. Finally I reached the top, which was about 25 feet up. I looked down at everyone, and they seemed tiny from such a high distance. The instructor at the top unhooked me from one rope and hooked me up to another. He said all I had to do was just walk off.

I thought to myself, if I took the step, there was no going back. I waited for a second, and then I took the step. Whoosh down I went. My stomach felt like it had butterflies in it, and I was as