One Shot Could Change the World | Teen Ink

One Shot Could Change the World

It was my time to shine. I was on a breakaway, sprinting down the seemingly never-ending field. 'If I make this shot, it will be the first goal my team has ever scored.' That same sentence was running through my mind as I was dribbling the ball. My heart was beating wildly, the sweat rolling down my face, the wind blowing through my hair. 'This is the most important moment in my life,' I thought as I neared the goal. My foot hit the ball and it soared through the sky.

It started as any other day. Wake up, go to school, and come home. There was only one thing different. It was the day of what turned out to be the most memorable day of my life. It may have happened eight and one-half years ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday.
It was my first year playing soccer and I had no experience whatsoever. What inspired me to play soccer you ask? Why, when I was little, my parents would take me to all of my brother's soccer games. I would sit there in the bleachers thinking 'Wow! I want to play soccer, just like my brother!' Or team wasn't the best. In fact, it was probably the worst. You see, we hadn't won a single game, let alone scored a goal. But I didn't know I would get my one and only chance later that night.
When my mom and I arrived at the soccer complex, I joined my teammates in stretches. The ref blew his whistle. The game was on.
The first half ended without any goals from either team. After the coach gave us an inspirational talk, we jogged back on the field. The ref blew his whistle, and the game started again. The other team dribbled the ball down our field, but our defenders stole it from them. The defenders then launched it down the field to me. I saw a wide open net ahead of me, for the goalie was out by the sideline chatting with one of his defenders. I sprinted down the field as fast as I could, heart beating wildly, sweat rolling off my face, wind rushing through my hair. I launched the ball down the field.
There was that weird silence that always appears before something big happens. 'PING!' No! The ball missed! Everybody awed in my miss. I had missed the most important shot in the world. It was the most embarrassing moment of my life. I had let my team down. I felt extremely ashamed.