A World of Laughter

What is laughter? The dictionary defines it as: an expression or appearance of merriment or amusement. To me it is that and more. Laughter in my life represents life in a world that would be dark and empty without it.

Life is meant to be shared with the people you love. The sounds of laughter is ever-present in the time I hold dearest to my heart with those I love'my family and friends. Just this simple expression of joy can make even the most inconsequential moments extraordinary. These moments in life are like the times my dad chuckles as my mom recounts my latest 'random moment' or as I nearly choke on my food trying not to laugh as my dad jokes around and tells funny stories at the dinner table. I remember the times I stay up until past four in the morning with my friends giggling as we exchange secrets or the way that they make me laugh to the point that I'm gasping for air. It's these simple things in life that are made memorable with laughter.

This outward show of joy is a universal language. Two summers ago, my church had a youth mission trip to Mexico. At the time I knew about five words in Spanish, so you can imagine that communicating was somewhat difficult without a translator. Every evening for that week we held a 'sports camp' at the local park. Some of the kids from my church put together a short humorous skit one night. No words were spoken; rather, they acted everything out in an over-exaggerated way. Despite the language barrier, the idea of the skit was understood and everyone responded in a language familiar to all. As we clutched our sides for breath, I realized that laughter goes deeper than words.

Laughter is just one of those things that would make the world feel empty without. It can bring people together and make every passing moment beautiful. When words fail, laughter is a language that can communicate in a stunning way. I couldn't imagine a world without it.