Teen Individuality

A teen girl dares to wear a funky outfit to school that does not consist of skinny jeans, Uggs, or anything from Aeropostale. Her peers ask, 'What the heck are you wearing?', but she smiles and feels confident about her look. A 15-year-old boy who is quite popular and the captain of the basketball team has a secret passion for writing poetry. Even though his friends think poetry is nerdy, the boy continues to write his lyrical words and shares them with others. This girl and boy have something in common: they both show signs of individuality.

Being an individual is easy to want, but hard to attain. Teens nowadays only want to fit in, not to stand out. The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines individuality as 'total character peculiar to and distinguishing an individual from others'. Being an individual is described as 'peculiar'. Not many people want to feel peculiar. They want to feel normal, just like everybody else. Individuality is a wonderful thing, though, that can only be accomplished by loving yourself.

'There's room for everybody on the planet to be creative and conscious if you are your own person. If you're trying to be like somebody else, then there isn't.' That quote was said by Tori Amos, and it is so true. There's no room on this earth for another lackadaisical Joe Schmo. When everybody wears the same clothes, has the same hairstyle, talks about the same things, and has the same beliefs, all the kids in the school hallway just blend together into one blob of boredom. That is why individuality is so important. No one wants to live a totally predictable life.

No one who hates themselves will be a true individual. If you dislike yourself, why on earth would you want others to dislike you for being diiferent? Someone who loves themselves and embraces their flaws will achieve being an individual. If you are confident about yourself, you can feel comfortable standing out. You can glow from within, as if saying to the world: Here I am! This is me, and I'm going to shine. You may not dress in popular clothes, you may not have the new iPhone, and you might be a huge geek that joined math club, but it's okay. You can be yourself without worrying about others. Who really gives a crap what they think? Most likely, they're jealous because they are not strong enough to be an individual.

Flaws should be seen as a blessing, not a curse. They remind us that we are all human, and not being good at something gives others who are good at it a chance to shine. There will always be some people who don't care to be different; who just conform every time a trend changes. But you don't have to be one of those people. You can stand out, feel proud, and be a true individual. Be peculiar and distinguish yourself from others. And always remember this: "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring." (Marilyn Monroe)

James Tiberius Kirk said...
Mar. 20 at 2:31 pm:
I DO NOT AGREE WHATSOEVER SCOTTY BEAM ME UP

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 11:22 am:
Great article. It's really hard to be yourself when everyone else is against it. I have been called 'freak', 'weirdo', since third grade and I still go through the 'name-calling' and teasing everyday. I often feel like nobody accepts me for who I am, that I don't belong anywhere and have no community of my own... it is upsetting, but yes, that doesn't break my spirit and I continue being myself - expressing myself through art, writing and poetry. I embrace my ... (more »)

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm:
This is a great article. I've only recently began to realize the extent of my individuality and how I should be proud of it. Ironically, I own stock in Abercrobie and Fitch, but don't buy their clothes. Thank you for writing this!

Mar. 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm:

KenyaLove41This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:37 pm:
i really like dis article, i think really says alot about too. i'm always a big fan of individuality but lately it's been hard to really be myself without feeling like some loser. i used to be really embrassed to tell people that i liked to write because they'd sometimes would look at me weird. Anyways, i hope that i can learn to express myself more:p

daretobedifferent19 replied...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 1:09 pm :
I know how that feels, but now im learning to be myself and im not really afraid anymore.  Be proud of what you can do, like writing, and do what you want, dont worry about what anyone else thinks because they are in no place to judge! :]

prettygirl20007 replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 10:14 am :
shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daretobedifferent19 replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 7:26 am :
was that really necesary?

ShadowriderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm:
You are so inspiring! You gave me a shot of confidence, in my life. Thank you! You made your point beautifully! Keep writing!

nnc97 said...
This article pushed me to be more of myself, rather than to try and be like everybody else. I used to wear stuff like that "popular" girl, or i didnt wear what I wanted to wear because I felt like somebody would judge me. Now, I wear what I feel (that's appropriate of course). Whether it's a feather headband, or huge neon earrings. I express MY personality in my own way, regardless of what people say.

EllieGrace said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm:

Madness is genius. Imperfection is beauty. And it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

- Marilyn Monroe

Your article reminded me of that qoute, I quite liked it <3

EllieGrace replied...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm :
Oh wow, I didnt read the whole thing and I just realized that you included that quote.... I feel so stupid right now :p

XmusicislifeX said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm:
This article reminds me of me... I don't look like anyone else in my grade. I'm different(: anyways i really liked this.

ImagineBelieveHope said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm:
i really enjoyed reading this! in 6th grade, i was OBSESSED with aeropostale....until one day my aunt told me i just looked like anybody else. i took that to mind, and realized she was right. i now wear my aero clothes to gym class or as pajamas, or as just a piece of cloth. the majority of my aero clothes are in the donation bin. as for UGGS, i wanted those too. you know the joke, they're UGGly. after doing a little bit of research on them, i found that they were made of animal skin and fur. i ... (more »)

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

chevy said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm:
we are all individuals but to have individuality you have to show it with confidence and pride

toddzdaughter said...
Feb. 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm:
I really liked this

AnarchyIsMyFriend said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm:
5+ stars!  I totally agree!

KayKay:-) said...
Feb. 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm:
Well. I don't wear skinny jeans, Uggs, or anything from Aeropostale, just because I don't like that style.

Hawthorn replied...
Feb. 24, 2011 at 11:53 am :
I used to wear Uggs but a dog ate them.