Friends are Friends | Teen Ink

Friends are Friends

By Yudi Escobar-Morales BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
Yudi Escobar-Morales BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

It was time for the 2007-2008 school year to start. Many thoughts about the new school, friends, teachers, classes, and people went through my head. I was so anxious for my freshman year to start, but I never thought that my first year in high school was going to be so' unforgettable.

You see, many exciting and surprising things happened to me that year in high school.

God! To think back to my first day of school! The thought to not know where my classes were, who could help me, who I can talk to, who to trust and hang out with.

I had to get used to my new weird, confusing schedule. It was hard enough to know that I didn't have any classes with my best friend, and at the same time had to get used to my new teachers and classmates.

The first bell rings and I don't know where to go. So nervous, so scared, my heart pounding faster than ever, I felt so worried and frightened, I thought it was the end. Plus to go to the main hall way and everyone pushing and saying, 'Hey! I missed you so much!' Stopping in the middle of the hall way and hugging, and getting in my way, got me mad. I felt we were all bees stuck inside a jar, with no way out, and everyone was buzzing to get out, but we couldn't.

As the day went by and I was looking for my class I began to notice many things that I don't see everyday.

In my second week of school, in my gym class, we all got assigned lockers so that we could change out and stuff. Lucky me, I knew some girls and we decided to get our lockers next to each others. When everyone in the class had to buy the P.E uniform and had to change out in the girl's locker room I would see many girls looking at me while I was changing. This made me feel very uncomfortable!

After school I would always see a guy holding hands with another guy, a girl holding hands with another girl, and the normal and usual, a guy holding hands with a girl. As I would see these different kinds of couples' I didn't think it was normal for two guys to be holding hands and two girls holding hands. I only thought that it was right for a guy and a girl to be holding hands.

As the school year was ending, I hadn't realized that I had a lot of gay, lesbian, and bisexual, friends. One day I saw one of my guy friends, Danny, holding hands with another guy, and I just couldn't wait to go to my class we had together, and asking him how it felt to be gay. Guess what he answered when I asked? 'It's fun with a guy because you try new things.' I was shocked!

Then, the next week or so, I was talking to one of my home-girls in my gym class. She had been with her boyfriend for about one year already. Out of nowhere she said, 'Oh I remember my girlfriend did that to me.' I looked at her all confused and shocked and said, 'You're what? Girlfriend? But you're going out with Chris?!' She said, 'Yeah' but dude, I had a girlfriend before I started going out with him.'

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

One day in my English class, my friend Stephanie and I were talking, and she said, 'Have you seen my ex-girlfriend?' What? I thought to myself. 'Your ex-girlfriend? But aren't you straight?' 'No... I am bi.' she said. I couldn't resist asking how it felt like to kiss a girl. She responded nicely and said, 'It feels good. I think it's better to go out with a girl because she knows what you want.' Wow'

Whatever! Right?

Stephanie told me that a lot of people have stopped talking to her because she is bisexual. Guess what I did? I still talk to her. I also still talk to my other gay, lesbian, and bisexual friends.

I have learned that being you, don't matter. I mean, you are still yourself' and if people like you the way you are, I don't think that if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or simply straight, shouldn't bother anyone. Now, I am used to seeing gays and lesbians holding hands or kissing in the hallways. It doesn't bother me anymore because no one decides how they want to be. They shouldn't worry about what people say. They are the ones that are happy the way they are, and the ones that are happy with the person they are with. Don't let people's comments get in your life. Don't let that get in your happiness. Just be yourself and keep your head up and don't let anyone put it down.