What Freedom Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means to Me

By Arrowhead13 PLATINUM, Hubertus, Wisconsin
Arrowhead13 PLATINUM, Hubertus, Wisconsin

The Land of the Free: my home. It’s the place I grew up playing football with my siblings, going to school, and planning a future. It’s the place with resources to build a successful life. And it’s the place where we are free.

As our beloved flag brandishes our loyalty from the front porch. We sleep at night with ease knowing those standing at the front lines protect us. We pledge our allegiance every morning as the clock strikes 7:30 signaling a day bursting with knowledge. We sing as the game honors those who’ve fought for this land. We showcase our trophy of freedom with our flag. 

The red, white, and blue represents the blood, sweat, and tears that stain the meadows where equality was fought for. The people lost have not been forgotten as we commemorate them by parading around town, passionately waving our emblem.

We fought, suffered, and triumphed to have our desires. And in America, we are free to speak our minds. We are free to praise God, Buddha, or the Torah. And we are free to have an opinion that counts. 

This land is our home — and it’s the place where we are free.