What Freedom Means to Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means to Me

By Emma_Repka PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
Emma_Repka PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Valiant, angelic, and strong, Americans look to the flag as a symbol of freedom. It stands bold, high above, capturing the essence of our nation. The flag: a symbol of peace, hope, and most importantly, freedom for those who live beneath it.

Proudly hanging in every classroom, campus and school building, the flag watches new generations as a silent reminder to those who walk past.

The flag is draped on the beige walls of a home, next to a picture of their beloved son, reminding them of what he sacrificed his life for. The flag is flying high above the camp where the soldiers sleep below: an unspoken prayer for those who fight. The flag symbolizes the uncelebrated American heroes.

The flag fiercely waves in the wind, strung to the boat racing on the waters with a skier following behind. The satisfying tang of bonfire as the soft hum of singing, "And for the stars and stripes. May freedom forever fly, let it ring” echoes through the woods beneath the stars.

Red, white and blue: three colors recognized throughout the world,  flying high above its people, bringing freedom to everyone in its vast and glorious shadow.