How I Define Freedom | Teen Ink

How I Define Freedom

By _Yellow_Rose_ GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
_Yellow_Rose_ GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“The land of the free, and the home of the brave.” Brings truth to  freedom for the family with daughters who are allowed to dream of becoming doctors, engineers, and lawyers. Whose grandfather’s World War II flag sits on their mantel wrapped and framed, and whose parents are the same sex and allowed to love.

Past brings truth to freedom with the blood left on the ground of Gettysburg in the name of human rights, the marches and chants, the people who feel safe in their homes after decades of fear by the color of their own skin.

While the truth maybe in the churches where we gather in our Sunday best to pray, the truth may also be facing mecca on our knees, and in the Bat Mitzvah held in celebration of a growing child. The truth of freedom cannot discriminate.

The truth of freedom lies within the red, white and blue swaying in the wind in the front yard of a picket fence lined bungalow, where toddlers take their first steps, inside where sons learn to play piano, and in the living room where mother takes pictures of her daughter’s first homecoming dress.

The truth, is our freedom, our blessing of the country we call America.