Roots of Freedom | Teen Ink

Roots of Freedom

By erikakathryn_ GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
erikakathryn_ GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

America is a tree that we stand beneath. She is great and tall, and reaches out over every American providing us with protection. Freedom stems from the very roots of our American tree; it is the foundation that gives us life.

Even in the worst of storms, our tree has not fallen. Some storms have been so terrible that even some of our tallest buildings collapsed to rubble below. Each of us was shaken, but not our tree. She stood strong against the winds of adversity and acted as our shield and safe haven. With roots so deep, there was no chance for her to fall.

Like any tree, America wouldn’t survive without sunlight. Our soldiers are the ones giving this tree the light it needs to continue to grow and protect us all. They sacrifice themselves to give each of us a better life. It would not be possible for any American to have their freedom if it weren’t for the men and women fighting to keep our tree alive.

Our tree is strong, thanks to the freedom at its core. If we all protect this tree, then she will continue to protect us under her mighty branches.