Through It All | Teen Ink

Through It All

November 6, 2015
By AprilW GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
AprilW GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
For a star to be born there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. so collapse. crumble. This is not your destruction. This is your birth.

Girl almighty. She's not afraid.


All around the world, the 13 stripes of red on white and 50 white stars spangled across an indigo banner shine brighter than the night sky on a quiet night.  The American Flag has stood tall through 12 major wars, 113 terrorist attacks,  43 presidents, and 545 million Americans.


Throughout the history of the United States, there have been at least 545 million Americans (to put that into perspective, if one American is one second, 545 million americans would be 17 years, 102 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes, and 20 seconds). There has been 545 million people who have gazed upon the flag of the United States. These 545 million people are who I think of when I see the American flag.


I think of these 545 million Americans and I think of their perseverance. From the first Thanksgiving, to the sit-ins and boycotts in the fight for equal rights, we persevered. From my Grandpa losing all three of his brothers in WWII, to my PopPop immigrating from Nova Scotia, we persevered.  The American People have faced challenge after challenge, and we have not only survived, we have come out on top every time.


We, the American people, are brave, because in the face of terror we push through, like our fathers who signed the Declaration of Independance.  We ignore our fear, like our brothers in the Invasion of Normandy.
We are resilient; instead of cowering down in fear, we risk our lives for the greater good, saving those trapped in the concrete cells of the World Trade Towers.


We are prideful in the parades and fireworks on The Fourth of July, in the people who slather themselves in red, white, and blue paint, proud to live in this land of freedom. We are proud to join 545 million Americans who came before us, 545 million Americans who fought through 12 wars, survived 113 terrorist attacks, and elected 43 presidents into office.


I am proud to join the 545 million Americans who have persevered and shown bravery, resilience, and pride in the flag of the United States of America.