The United States Flag | Teen Ink

The United States Flag

November 5, 2015
By 7witter GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
7witter GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A sky submerged in smoke, bullets blared in the air, and hopeful hearts set the scene for the battle at Fort McHenry. It was the moment when Americans determined to keep the flag standing. And after the smog vanished, a flag still stood, waving proudly. 

The Smithsonian continues to capture this magnificent moment. In a dark room lights illuminate the original flag--a flag surrounded by people who admire the determination it took to make this country. Emotions run through this room, while many sit in silence thinking about the success of their country, demonstrating how this symbolic the United States flag continues to be.

Every morning, students and teachers turn to the flag and recite the Pledge of Allegiance: “... and to the Republic for which it stands...” To me, this pledge represents how I work hard to become successful. I'm fortunate enough to live in America where I have the opportunity, motivation, and skills to pursue what I want to be.

In order to honor those who served and their determination to our country, we carefully drape a flag across their casket, paying our respects. Men begin to fold the flag, and all of 12 folds have a significance. This flag is then passed down to family members, to remember their loved one who has died for our country.

The United States flag represents determination in the pieces of fabric sewed together. From battles to pledges and even museums, today’s flag is a constant reminder to work hard and achieve your goals. Ticking time bombs, gory gunshots, and strong-willed soldiers were some of the many reasons The United States flag got its meaning of determination.