Understanding Relationships Through Rain | Teen Ink

Understanding Relationships Through Rain

By Gabe Mein SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
Gabe Mein SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

There all types of rain and you can probably see their notable differences; but what you fail to see is they’re all unapologetic and make lasting impressions in your day. They never end up caring what they break. For instance the quick rain shows you her potential but never fully delivers. The shower begins, you’re excited from the everlasting anticipation. But, just as fast as she began showing herself, she leaves. This replaces your excitement with emptiness, you can’t believe it. This rain barely wets anything, you barely got to know her. She leaves you questioning if she ever existed at all because of how shallow she is. The drizzle is almost much of the same. He brings his clouds, his darkness, and his thunder making you believe you’re in for something special. However, he never really gives what you expected. In some ways you’re disappointed. You thought it was going to be a rainy day, where life kind of stops and nothing really matters, where all of your focus would be attached to him. Life still goes on though. The only difference is that everytime you go outside you’re tickled by the drizzle. Now, the double rain isn’t much better. He’s like a two headed hydra. He starts off with one rain, a solid one which you actually ended up enjoying. It ends which you’re already kind of mopey about. And then as soon you think the sun is going to appear and the day is going to go on, he comes back. He’s selfish which surprises you. He wants the spotlight and wants you to stay and watch. You barely know what you got yourself into, watching that first of two rains all that time ago. While the double wants you to stick around, the flood makes you. She’s ruthless. She makes you stay inside because it’s too dangerous to intervene with the power she has over you. She’ll engulf everything you have with just a small proportion of her. When she’s finally gone you have nothing. You’ll be recovering for what feels like eternity. She took it all just like the others. Although all of them might give a ray of sunshine while they pass, they all end up being an unwanted food for thought. In the end were any of them really worth it? Personally, I hate the rain.

My piece describes four different types of relationships - the short one, the annoying one, the one that drags on forever, and the one that takes everything from one of people. There are definitely more, but these are the only ones I was able to relate to rain.