The Life | Teen Ink

The Life

By Jazzon BRONZE, Belgrade, Other
Jazzon BRONZE, Belgrade, Other

With a remarkable phrase I shall begin this essay with the topic which is not completely understood even by the brightest of minds, yet used over and over.  What is life?

You can certainly understand my question, yet you can’t give the answer. Life is, what a shallow person would say, a time of existence of a being from its birth to its death. With this in mind, the obvious question that we ask is, what is birth, and what is death?

Again, a shallow answer would be the beginning and the end of an existence, but I am planning on going  a little bit deeper. Let me begin by asking, is life an opposite of death? Logically, we can say it certainly is, but that is actually the thing we are most concerned about. If life is the opposite of death, then everything is clear to us. If life is the opposite of death, and life has a begging and an end, each bordered by death, then the beginning of life is actually the end of death, and the end of life is actually the beginning of death, and therefore, we know for sure death has a beginning and an end, and therefore, there is an afterlife.
Pretty simple, am I right? But what we don’t know for sure is what death is. Of course, we know it’s the cease of existence, the nothingness, but that is not actually what we know, but what we see. Our limited knowledge over this fact makes us ultimately fail in this observation, and therefore what we see as nothingness, we accept as such. We fear it, and try to live the life we have the best way possible, but what is the best way?

Going in this direction, we can easily associate this question with - “What is the meaning of life?”

Here is what I am thinking now. We have a life, and it will end, just like it began. By the same logic, I am going to say that we have death, which also ends the same way it begun, and then what is normal to assume is that there is a life after, and a death after, and a life again, going around in a circle.

So, if we really do have a life right  now, which is certain thanks to the fact that we can think, and that is for sure, let’s just drop the afterlife for now. What is the meaning of this moment? What is the meaning of this life we have that may or may not end resulting into death which turns into a new life over and over?
Well, this is, in my opinion, the true question we should be seeking an answer to.

Because, if the life goes around in a circle, then it is pointless… If there is only one life, it may have more sense to us, that we have this one life to use the best possible way… Or what if, for the people who use life properly, there is no more living in this human body, but for those who don’t complete their purpose, there is this circling?

I suppose that makes the most sense!

“Those who complete their purpose, which we will discuss on later, get to go to the afterlife, which means they don’t live over and over but rather have a different faith, but those who waste their life on the wrong things have to live them again and again in different bodies.”

This is my current theory.

Now, we know there is a purpose, but we don’t know what it is! If we are to seek a purpose, I’d say it would have to be something good. Therefore, if it is indeed a good attribute to us, I’d say that the most important two attributes in life are being good and being wise.

Everything else that is positive and relates to the spirit and not the body is automatically applied in these two. So, I bring a conclusion to this theory. Those who can be wise and open, not trapped in the  body that is merely physical and not spiritual, and those who are good and do good to others not for the gratitude of others but for their own satisfaction of doing a good deed, are the ones that are living correctly. Those who obey to sins, lust and who are living with their body, and not spending enough time with their soul, are without a doubt not going to what Christians say is hell, but are going to live again and again in this circle, constantly seeking an answer and a meaning to their circular rush.

Therefore, my final though it… Question this theory, for those who question are seeking wisdom, and the wisdom is not needed by the body, but rather by the soul, and the more we seek wisdom, the wiser our soul is, and the less likely it is to live again after our death in a fragile human body, therefore the more likely to live as an independent, infinitely powerful being of pure goodness and wisdom, a being truly worthy of meeting it’s maker.

Inspired by reading Plato`s Fedon