Iran Really Can Have it All! | Teen Ink

Iran Really Can Have it All!

By SamSchick BRONZE, Highland Park, New Jersey
SamSchick BRONZE, Highland Park, New Jersey

As the Iran deal is being finalized, people around the world are waiting. Some of them are worried. If you don’t understand the Iran deal let me quickly explain it:

The United States along with a few other countries, decided that they would be willing to trade with Iran in exchange for the promise of no nuclear weapons. Previously, the U.S. had imposed sanctions which negatively affected the Iranian economy. The government of Iran doesn’t get to build a nuclear weapon and we begin trading again, helping the many poor people in Iran. Seems like a good deal right?

Well, there’s one major problem: Inspectors can check to make sure Iran is not building a nuclear weapon whenever they want…but they have to give Iran a 24 day notice before inspection. 24 days is plenty of time to hide a nuclear weapon. Now I know what you’re thinking: Why don’t I trust Iran, maybe they won’t build a bomb?

Well it’s possible but let me tell you why I wouldn’t bet money on them keeping this deal.
1: The Iranian Defense Minister said that inspectors will not be able to check every spot they think might have a nuclear weapon.
2: The first day of the Iran hostage crisis (November 4th, 1979), when Iranians took hostage fifty-two Americans, has been declared a national holiday called “Death to America day.”
3: The government pays for murals that read “Death to America.”
4: The supreme leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, shouted “death to America” during a speech.

Not to mention what this means for Israel. No matter if you’re pro-Israel or pro-Palestine, this Iran deal negatively affects both sides. The top commander of the IRGC (Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution) in Tehran province has made it abundantly clear that they are planning on overthrowing Israel. If they’re successful, it means danger for both Israel Jews and Palestinian Muslims.

Iran is getting the best of both worlds; they get to trade with major world powers again and they get to build a nuclear weapon with little chance of anyone finding out. Now remember, I’m not some government leak that’s spilling secrets. This is public information and yet somehow, it’s being ignored by our government.

So I urge everyone, to protest as much as they can against this deal. Even if it’s completely finalized, we should never stop. We should let our government know that this deal is putting millions of people in danger. Not only should we do this to save ourselves from possible conflict with Iran now, we should do it to help make sure that the future of America is safe and sound. Let’s stop the problem before it begins.