Be Astonishing This School Year | Teen Ink

Be Astonishing This School Year

By dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,
dsturnea2015 SILVER, Brunswick,

"When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change."

It's back to the schools; back to the uneasy navigations of hallways and crowds.  It's time for lectures you most likely will not pay much attention to.  It's time for dealing with those people who changed drastically and became more tan than one could dream of.  It's also time for dealing with teachers who don't understand you.  But you know what?  We're all nervous.  Period.  End of discussion.  Everyone is going to have that situation in the middle of the night where they dwell on the first day.  Your outfits for the first day are flawless, they're on fleek and you make a grand slam in fashion.  But what happens after the first month?  The first semester?  You get burnt out on everything.  

Soon the outfits will diminish faster than marginal utility theories the confidence level starts to drop.  And drop.  The grades slip now that the reviewing is finished with, learning new material whether or not you understood the basic concepts beforehand.  Soon you are in a thorned circle-this thorn circle keeps you in the loop and hurting you along the way.  But guess what?  It doesn't continue forever.  

When it comes to the new year and the middle of the year, the fire is lost and burnt out.  But the option to ignite an even bigger flame is possible.  So, this year, be astonishing.  Blow the grades out of the water, destroy the academic competition to the point of no possibility.  Show them they can't mess with you.  Personally, the best thing I did in school (in the 3rd quarter) was I cut my hair, spiked it like crazy and traded my jeans and t-shirt and sneakers for some black pants, bright blue button-up shirt and some Vans.  I liked the new me, because I changed only for myself, not my friends.  

So this school year, don't dread it: anticipate it.  Be ready to jump head first into the deep oceans of academics and swim faster than everyone else until then finish line is crossed.  Dress not to impress, but to amaze and inspire.  It is possible.  Simply be astonishing, and the rest will come naturally.  The rest will come easy.  Please.