A Helping Hand | Teen Ink

A Helping Hand

By ellamei2001 BRONZE, San Jose, California
ellamei2001 BRONZE, San Jose, California

“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.”
      ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

During the winter of 2012, brothers Josh, 15 and Jessee,11 were found living in an almost unlivable condition. Police detective Jack Mook adopted 2 boys from an abusive foster home into his care. After living through years of abuse and neglect, they were able to find a good home.

It all started when the two brothers were attending training classes at Steel City Boxing Gym, a gym where unprivileged and children that live in difficult situations go to. After a while, they stopped coming. Mook, who was training the brothers, got suspicious and decided to track them down. After following Josh home from school one day, he was shocked to see that they had been living in foster care, in a “dilapidated home with roaches and rats," according to KDKA Morning News. After several days of thinking, Mook revealed his plan. On September 16, 2014, he officially became a foster father. Josh and Jessee were now is in his care. When the boys found out that they were being adopted, Jessee happily said, “I'm very happy,” Jessee said after the adoption, according to Trib Total Media. “His house is clean, he has great rules, and I know he's going to make me a better man in life.””

“Poverty is not made by God, it is created by you and me when we don’t share what we have.”
      ~Mother Theresa