Making Mistakes | Teen Ink

Making Mistakes

By emm194 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
emm194 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Everybody makes mistakes in this world; it is a fact of life. Somewhere along the line, everybody is going to make a bad decision or do something they knew they should not have. Some people make the same mistake two or three times before they learn, but people can often learn more from those mistakes better than they can from success.  I believe mistakes allow you to learn something from a situation and move on positively; and possibly make you a better person.

Sometimes, we do not realize we are doing something bad until we get hurt from it, or hurt someone else. If a person goes through life never making one mistake, they probably do not know much about life. Why? Because mistakes can sometimes teach us more than anything else in life. If we were perfect, nothing would make us curious or happy or sad. Mistakes give us more strength and make us stronger. Although you can only learn from a mistake after you admit you have made it. You get further away from overcoming your mistake as soon as you start blaming other people. When you make a mistake, the only person to blame is you. If you stand up and honestly admit you have made a mistake, progress happens so much faster. Sometimes you have to fail a couple times before you succeed, but making mistakes is not failing. As Thomas Jefferson said “I have not failed, I have just found 10,000 ways that don’t work.” So I believe that making mistakes is not failing but starting over and discovering something new to succeed.

I personally believe making mistakes has made me a better person and let me view certain things differently. Because making mistakes lets me know what I can and cannot do, discovers more and more about me, and my limits, and all of my capabilities. I have made mistakes without even knowing it and I end up regretting it later on. I have a couple regrets in my life from mistakes being made; some that have completely changed certain things, such as certain relationships. Sometimes it is hard thinking about how different things would be if I had not made certain mistakes, but I also know that I have learned who my real friends are and learned who truly cares about me, by the people who have accepted those mistakes and forgiven me. I learned about the kind of person I want to be and the kind of person I do not want to be. I learned not to be needy and to not always depend on people. I learned to not take things for granted. I learned that if something does not feel 100% right I should not be doing it.

Nobody in life is perfect. Everyone in the world makes mistakes and learns from them. So I believe making mistakes and learning from them in a positive way make us better people and shapes who we are as individuals.