Depression | Teen Ink

Depression

April 5, 2015
By Adster BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina
Adster BRONZE, Greenville, South Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Be who you are and don't let the low lives get to you"


Depression is not a bad thing, it just means that some part of your brain is chemically unbalanced. The feelings of sadness do not last forever; they are only temporary. Feeling sad and alone can be the worst feeling in the world. I, myself am a teen who suffers greatly from depression; yes it can be very difficult at times and sometimes even unbearable but I knew that if I kept on having hope, life would get better. There are people in this world who want to be there for you and help with you so that you can feel better. To be honest, no one wants to feel sad and alone, it makes you feel like there is no reason to be here. People who are diagnosed with this mental illness Depression do not have to suffer anymore. Of course there is medication to help you feel happier for a period of time but it is not a miracle worker. Medication is here to help us function and not be sad and miserable all the time, but in order for you to ever feel happy; you have to accept that you have a diagnosis but know that the people you love are there for you and will continue to help you strive for a better life. Everyone was put on this earth for their own purpose and can do anything they set their mind too. I thought that me being diagnosed with Depression meant that something was wrong with me but in reality it is a family trait that has been passed down and unfortunately I got it. Just because I have depression does not mean I should stop living; it means that I have a chemical unbalance in my brain. I have depression and also suffer from anxiety but it is not unusual because both of my parents suffer from depression as well others in my family. I used to ask myself “why was I the kid in the family that got stuck with depression?”. But then I realized that I was supposed to go through struggles and many hardships because it has helped make me who I am today. Depression is okay. You do need to feel ashamed if you have depression, you can learn to overcome it and live the life you want . Do not let depression ruin your life. I thought that me being depressed was the end of my life but throughout all of my struggles in my life so far; i have learned a lot and now I know how to help others who are in deep sadness. Do not let depression run your life. If you are  feeling really sad and feel like you would be better off gone; tell someone you love because it will get better and telling someone how you feel could save your own life and also save the heartbreak of your loved ones.