"My mission is to rescue. My hope is that one day I won't have to." | Teen Ink

"My mission is to rescue. My hope is that one day I won't have to."

By AshIsAVampire GOLD, Lake City, Florida
AshIsAVampire GOLD, Lake City, Florida

"Would you destroy something beautiful in order to make it perfect?"

╔══╗♫
║██║♫ Paste this on
║██║♫ your page if♫
║(O)║ ♫you love♫
╚══╝♫ music♫

What do you think of when you hear the word "pit bull?" A ferocious predator with sharp teeth and knife-like claws? A lean, mean, fighting machine? Or an animal that should've never been created? Tia Torres differs. You'd be surprised to know that looks, can really be deceiving.

I bet most of you are scratching your heads and are wondering, Who in the world is Tia Torres? Well, I'll make it a little easier on you and explain a little bit.

Tia Maria Torres is the owner of the very popular and well known, Villalobos Rescue Center. She also has a T.V. show on Animal Planet called Pit bulls & Parolees. She has a fierce passion for animals. Fierce. So fierce that she is rescuing pit bulls and other animals. Yes, you heard me right. Pit bulls. One of the most "feared" animals on the face of this Earth. One of the most misunderstood breed of dogs today.

Villalobos Rescue Center (VCR) is a rescue, rehabilitation and placement facility for abused and abandoned pit bulls. VCR is a place where the loyal, devoting, and affectionate breed is given a second chance. Not only is the VCR a place where dogs are given a second chance but also for people. If you want me to be more specific; parolees. "The guys I hire because no one else will." This gives parolees a chance to get their life back on track before they ended up in the prison. This Rescue Center is full of nothing but love, hope, and second chances. 

Tia isn't alone in her fight to rescue abandon pit bulls. Her daughters, Tania and Mariah, and twin sons, Kanani and Keli'i, help run the center, with Villalobos' staff of volunteers and employees, many of whom are the eponymous parolees. And occasionally will assist or go on their own to also rescue these animals. Working together as a family to run Villalobos is unique and special.

Don't believe me? You can head on over to AnimalPlanet.com and watch their show Pit bulls & Parolees or you can watch it on your T.V. Being a pit bull owner myself, I personally recommand watching it, not for the fact that it's fun to watch, but it really does open your eyes up to how horrible our human race is sometimes. You get a real glimpse of how terrible these pit bulls have been beaten, neglected and/ or abandoned. It's heart-wrenching. And just to watch their face light up to see that there is a pure soul out there that will rescue and shelter them from all of the pain. It's unbearable. You HAVE GOT to see it for yourself.

Want to lend a hand to the Villalobos Rescue Center? Head on over to their website http://www.vrcpitbull.net/dog/. You can make donations, sponsor a dog, purchase merchandise from their store, and even volunteer to take care of the dogs yourself. Even just by doing the simpliest thing, you can really make a difference in this world.