After a While | Teen Ink

After a While

By -emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida
-emma- GOLD, Miami, Florida

I'm like a child who belongs to nobody
~Lana Del Rey~

Life as we all know it, is a game. You can fight it all you want but at the end of the day the only way you’re going to survive is to keep moving forward. Because after a while, the pain becomes numb. You learn the subtle differences between life and death, and suddenly death doesn't seem intimidating. Love is seen as a beautiful thing, but can be the most deceiving. After a while, you learn that you can hold hands, but you can’t always have them forever. Sooner or later you discover that kisses aren’t contracts and experience the pain of the dagger in your heart.

After a while you learn to not care about opinions. Words hurt but life goes on. You begin to realize that you need to live for yourself and not for the allusion others have for you. You begin to accept your flaws with your head high with grace rather than immaturity. After a while you learn that nothing is certain and begin to live your life in the present because tomorrow is never guaranteed. You begin to not depend on the future because it’s ways away, and at any given moment it can change in a blink of an eye.

After a while you realize that you don’t have forever so you begin to take chances and risks. You are afraid of sinking, but oh darling what if you sail. Only those that step out of their comfort zones achieve greatness. After a while you begin to understand that people come and go and not everyone is meant to stay. However it is inevitable that everyone serves a purpose for either two reasons; they are either a lesson or a blessing.

After a while you begin to learn how to let go after being dragged for so long. And often times than most it’s painful, but eventually the pain settles flat and suddenly you are up lifted with serenity. After a while you learn that good bye is a big phrase with a heavy meaning. Some people cringe at that phrase, but as life goes on, you realize that along with every good bye is another hello. After a while you begin to realize that everything you have is not guaranteed forever, and suddenly it becomes more valuable. And then after a while you begin to realize that  oddly enough the only thing in life that is guaranteed is death. And that my love is life.

Because everything when you were younger was so innocent and then as you grow everything changes, and you need to learn to accept that.