The Art That Is You | Teen Ink

The Art That Is You

March 30, 2015
By messenger116 SILVER, Hemet, California
messenger116 SILVER, Hemet, California
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
The road less traveled is hard to walk.


We hear it all the time.  You are one of a kind, unique.  There never has been and never will be anyone like you ever again.  So why is it that each and every one of us, a matchless piece of art, wants to change ourselves?  Why do we sacrifice our individuality to become the same as another?  Why? Because it's hard.  It's hard being one of a kind.  Not everyone understands the art that is you.  They misinterpret and misjudge the beautiful work you know yourself to be.  So we change.  We paint over the original picture.  We chip away at the sculpture that was once our true self.  All in an endless attempt to gain the approval of the critics that inhabit this harsh world.  Where does it end? When do we realize that this vicious cycle is destructive? That it hurts and insults you, the very person trying to benefit from it? When do we realize that we aren't meant to be the same as someone else? I don't know.  All I know is standing alone as the unique, one of a kind person you are is hard, but I also know everyone stands alone, together.  Its time for us to stop changing, time to appreciate the art that was created in us, the originals, because that is what we are, and we will never be again.